Natural remedies for anxiety and depression
Although the key to overcoming stress and anxiety lies in discovering the cause and finding ways to reduce its effects, nature also helps us to better cope with this situation. Let's talk about anxiety first, then we'll look at some very effective natural remedies for anxiety.
Anxiety: what is it?
According to the Psychiatric Encyclopedia for Medical Practice, 1976, anxiety is an "unpleasant emotional experience that is accompanied by a sense of helplessness or a feeling of imminent danger and can vary in its degrees from mild restlessness to intense terror. . It is connected to a feeling of grave threat that often has no real external correspondence. It leads to characteristic somatic, neurovegetative, biochemical, endocrinological and behavioral manifestations ".
Anxiety is a "feeling of apprehension, uncertainty and fear without an apparent stimulus and which is associated with physiological changes: tachycardia, sweat, tremor." (Dorland); it is an emotion that anticipates danger and is accompanied by an increase in alertness and the establishment of a complex physiological alarm mechanism.
Anxiety syndrome includes psychic, somatic and behavioral symptoms:
- Patients with this disorder appear chronically anxious and apprehensive and complain of a prolonged state of worry about ordinary circumstances of everyday life. In the absence of realistic reasons, they report feelings of apprehension about the health and physical safety of family members, their financial situation, their ability to work or school. A continuous state of alarm and hypervigilance is established due to the belief that certain negative events, feared by them, have the possibility of occurring;
- mental stress, physical fatigue, fear, discouragement, depression, anguish ... they are just the tip of the iceberg of many other problems related to anxiety but often underestimated! the associated somatic component is made up of:
symptoms affecting the autonomic nervous system, among which the following stand out: labored breathing, heart palpitation, sweating, particularly in the palm of the hand, dry mouth, sensation of "lump in the throat", of "empty head and light ", hot flashes;
disorders of the gastrointestinal series are frequent: gastritis, gastroesophageal reflux, colitis, constipation, meteorism, dyspepsia, nausea and diarrhea;
marked muscular tension, particularly in the head, neck and back, are often responsible for widespread pain and headaches in the occipital and frontal areas, migraines; to all this is added easy fatigue. Sometimes the involvement of the muscular sphere involves tremor and / or contractions and stiffening of the upper limbs;
symptoms of the cognitive sphere (reduced concentration, easy distraction, memory disturbances) and alertness (restlessness, irritability, nervousness, ease of wincing, state of alarm);
other symptoms not to be overlooked? panic attacks, sleep disturbances (difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep, or restless and unsatisfactory sleep, frequent nocturnal awakenings ..), hair loss, acne, dermatitis;
- it is also common to observe that "stress" or a situation of competition and widespread anxiety often constitute the cause of obesity, water retention, exaggerated hunger (bulimia).
Natural remedies for anxiety and depression
We at erboristeriacomo.it recommend our Ansioninax day among the supplements for stress and anxiety, immediate, which you find here, with an exclusive phytocomplex, useful against:
- anxiety, panic attacks, nerve palpitations,
- tired awakening accompanied by strong mental stress,
- continuous and unjustified worries,
- post partum depression, premenstrual syndrome.
Ansioninax day can also be taken during pregnancy and breastfeeding and can also be associated with benzodiazepines. Contains:
* exclusive saffron extract (with anxiolytic action): saffron is an ancient remedy for mood disorders, first praised by Avicenna for its power on the psyche and general well-being. Rather recent clinical studies have shown an efficacy of saffron extract in mild and moderate depression, equated to that of ethical antidepressants such as imipramine ("Comparison of Crocus sativus L. and imipramine in the treatment of mild to moderate depression: a pilot double -blind randomized trial ", 2004) and fluoxetine (" Comparison of petal of Crocus sativus L. and fluoxetine in the treatment of depressed outpatients: a pilot double blind randomized trial ", 2006). There are also studies regarding saffron in the treatment of premenstrual syndrome (eg that of Agha-Hosseini et al. "Crocus sativus in the treatment of premestrual syndrome: a double-blind, randomized placebo-controlled trial", 2008). Saffron extract can therefore be useful in cases of depression, stress and mental exhaustion, and being a natural agonist of the benzodiazepine GABA-A receptor does not interact with the benzodiazepines themselves.
* hawthorn extract (against nervous palpitations): hawthorn, defined by Binet as “the valerian of the heart”, has always been known as the plant of the heart, due to its cardioprotective activity. It: increases coronary flow and myocardial perfusion, reduces peripheral resistance, has an antiarrhythmic effect and prevents cardiac fatigue ("A randomized double blin placebo controlled clinical trial of a standardized extract of fresh Crataegus berries in the treatment of patients with congestive heart failure NYHA II ". Phytomedicine, 2003. Degenring Fh et al.). Thanks to these effects, hawthorn extract can therefore be indicated in cases of hyperexcitability, especially if of nervous origin, and is therefore useful in the treatment of anxiety states associated with acceleration of the heartbeat.
* escolzia extract (calms tension): has an anxiolytic and sedative effect mediated by alkaloids such as protopin. It can be useful in cases of anxiety, stress and nervous tension.
If anxiety causes you sleep disorders, such as nocturnal awakenings, there is another equally valid product based on saffron extract, which you can find here, which in addition to the saffron extract, contains melatonin in soft gel ( highly bioavailable) and titrated lavender essential oil. A clinical study, published in Phytomedicine, entitled: "Evaluation of the effect of lavender essential oil in generalized anxiety disorder compared to lorazepam" confirmed it to be an effective and well tolerated treatment in adults with generalized anxiety disorders.
In addition to the supplements mentioned, the most "immediates", a mention also our natural drops to sleep and rest for adults and children, and also a good relaxing herbal tea that never hurts.
Other Natural remedies for Anxiety: gem therapy and aromatherapy
Gem therapy and aromatherapy also come to the rescue, completing the herbal part. Regarding gemmotherapy:
- linden bud extract: it is indicated in "generalized anxiety", in the multiple expressions of neurovegetative dystonia, thanks to the now proven spasmolytic and sedative properties attributable, in part, to farnesol, a terpene with neurosedative properties. By acting on the level of serotonin, which it helps to raise, it is able to improve mood and perform anxiolytic and mildly antidepressant activities. It is therefore effective in anxious syndromes, in cardiac erethism that almost always accompanies these states, in arterial hypertension sustained by stress, in insomnia, etc. and in sleep disorders it promotes falling asleep and helps to increase the duration of sleep without causing addiction;
- fig bud extract: it has an anxiolytic action and it is important to use it whenever a clear neurotic component (stress-anxiety) is found at the base of the functional disorder: it can be, in fact, considered the remedy of psychosomatic manifestations, in particular of the digestive ("gastric anxiety") where it regulates motility and gastroduodenal secretion, it can also be inserted, together with other therapeutic aids, in the treatment of obesity or overweight of psychosomatic origin. In fact, in addition to normalizing gastric secretion and regulating appetite, it will help reduce the anxious component that is often associated with this state. Thanks to the neurovegetative rebalancing action, it can be prescribed in various clinical pictures in which, however, the emotional component gives rise to psychosomatic manifestations; (for gastritis look also gastrorebuild).
- hawthorn bud extract is recommended for anxiety and tachycardia.
As for aromatherapy, we obviously mention two of our essential oils for aromatherapy: lavender essential oil and Calabrian sweet orange essential oil, or you can let yourself be tempted by our Gadoi-Magnifica Essenza mix relax, for diffuser, prepared on the Trentino Alps with the wording of Prof. Marco Valussi, internationally renowned in his field.
Visit our herbal department for any clarification or for more information.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED, THIS TEXT IS NOT REPRODUCIBLE WITHOUT EXPRESS AUTHORIZATION OF ERBORISTERIA COMO